All is Calm, All is Bright

22 Dec

Today I’m feeling equal parts crazed and contemplative.

On one hand, this is Christmas week. Between Wednesday and Sunday we have five different Christmas parties in three different cities. Two are on the same day. We’ll spend our time this week in the car, missing nap time, eating too much sugar, and making small talk with relatives. It will be busy, messy, exhausting, and beautiful.

On the other hand, 2014 is quickly drawing to a close. It’s been a whirlwind of a year. From Anders’ birth to building yet another new barn, we’ve rarely had moments to settle, to be still. We made it through the early days of parenthood and now I have a beautiful, happy son who is somehow crawling, waving, and cutting teeth. Quite a difference from where we were just eight shorts months ago.

Newborn-shoot

The swift passage of time is startling. I started 2014 with a growing belly, an unfinished nursery, and raging donut cravings.

I end it with a healthy baby, a house full of toys, and… raging donut cravings. (Um, hello? I though those were supposed to go away?)

donuts

Life has changed irrevocably, but we are so blessed it hurts my heart.

So, in spite of the busyness, the driving, the sugar, I choose joy. I choose to wrap myself in the promise of Christ’s birth and savor the ordinary moments that form this beautiful life.

Christmas2014_AandJ

I wish the same to you, dear friends. Find the calm, bright moments this week and don’t let them go.

Merry Christmas, from our barn to yours!

Christmas2014

xoxo, Dairy Man, MFW, Anders, and Jersey

Advertisements

8 Responses to “All is Calm, All is Bright”

1. Bailey Venable 12/22/2014 at 12:47 pm #

Merry Christmas from an employee in the Medina office of DFA!

I had the opportunity to meet DM’s dad at a meeting last week and was able to tell him how wonderful following your blog has been. I myself have no agricultural background or rural roots and your blog has connected me to dairy and our members in a way I’m quite grateful for.

Thank you for everything you do as a dairy wife, DFA member and for all the perspective you provide to me and countless others as a blogger.

Wishing you and yours a blessed Christmas!

Bailey Venable
    Member Services Specialist
    Mideast Area, DFA

2. Fiona Lowe 12/22/2014 at 4:21 pm #

That photo of Jersey and Anders is precious and priceless ! Have a lovely Christmas… we gave up the crazy travel and kids fiasco when they were small and everyone came to us for a few years. Now they’re big they still like Christmas at home. We balance out the families across Christmas week. Less frantic making it more enjoyable. Travel safely in the ice and snow and all the best for a happy, healthy 2015. Cheers,
    Fiona

3. Darlene Beadle 12/22/2014 at 5:48 pm #

You are so awesome!! What a wonderful family you are!

4. Ruth 12/22/2014 at 8:27 pm #

Oh, the Wonder of it All……..

5. Holly Moon 12/24/2014 at 12:05 am #

Merry Christmas, Jessica, to you and your wonderful family. We wish you all the good things you deserve in 2015; good health, much happiness, and all the donuts your heart desires!!

6. HendrickJones 12/24/2014 at 4:32 pm #

Merry Christmas Jessica to you and yours.

7. Lauren 01/12/2015 at 7:13 am #

This post resonated so deeply with me as a mother of a 7 month old. Thank you for sharing your gift of writing.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Hi. It’s been a while. | Modern Farm Wife - 08/26/2015

[…] The last time we talked, Anders had just learned to army crawl, was sporting two teeth, and had just started baby food. […]