A Big Announcement

7 Oct

Ok people. Hold on to your hats. It’s time for a big announcement.

We’re expanding the dairy! Well, kind of. The truth is that we’re working on our very own homegrown farmhand. It seems more cost-effective in the long run.

Confused? I’ll let this picture explain things for you.

announcement 1

That’s right, folks. The Dairy Man and I are officially expecting our first child! Even though he/she won’t be able to shovel manure for a few more years, we’re over the moon with excitement and gratitude. We feel unspeakably blessed.

announcement 2

Jersey and the cows seem ambivalent, but they’ll come around. I have no doubt that J-pups will settle into his new role as an older sibling.

announcement 3

So that’s that. #30 on my 30 things to do before I’m 30 list will be checked off in April 2014. You’re welcome, Mom.

For now, we’re embarking on many months of Dairy Man trying to understand a human pregnancy through his knowledge of cows. I’ll try not to be offended. Whatever helps him cope. As long as we don’t name the baby “Holstein.”

Life is about to change dramatically and irrevocably. I’m thrilled, overwhelmed, ecstatic, and terrified all at the same time. But even amidst the bouts of terror, I thank God for this tiny life inside of me.

On to the next adventure!

announcement 4

*And many, many thanks go to the talented Ashley Folkema for these amazing photos.

Advertisements

31 Responses to “A Big Announcement”

1. ann pell 10/07/2013 at 8:53 am #

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Excited for both of you, you two will be great parents!!!

2. holly 10/07/2013 at 9:03 am #

Wonderful news, Jessica! What an exciting adventure you are going to be taking. You’ll be a great Mom, and I’m sure your DM will adjust to the “human” aspect. 🙂

3. aplusme 10/07/2013 at 9:29 am #

Congrats Jessica!
    As my DM would say “great that you “caught” in time for your 30 list” 🙂
    Looking forward to reading the evolution of your blogging as your family expands!

4. Mary Breuker 10/07/2013 at 9:44 am #

How wonderful and exciting! I’m certain that DM will find that a child is way more entertaining and lovable than a cow,

5. fayefossay 10/07/2013 at 9:51 am #

Congratulations Jessica! Raising a family on the farm will NOT disappoint! It’s the best way in my opinion! Enjoy this VERY exciting time! 🙂

6. TBC 10/07/2013 at 9:56 am #

Congratulations to you, your DM and the grandparents-to-be! How exciting for all of you. Praying for a uneventful pregnancy and safe delivery.

7. cntryrose 10/07/2013 at 10:47 am #

Congratulations to all, what an exciting time in your lives. Hang on tight, the journey is about to become a “trip of a lifetime”, with overflowing love, laughter and smiles.

8. Ruth Vis 10/07/2013 at 10:50 am #

Terrific! Congratulations to both of you and may all go so very well!

9. Sophie 10/07/2013 at 10:54 am #

Lovely news!
    Congrats! Enjoy your exciting adventure!
    X

10. Brandi 10/07/2013 at 11:50 am #

Congratulations! How exciting 🙂

11. Tricia Iest 10/07/2013 at 12:10 pm #

Congrats!! I totally get the hubby relating to pregnancy thru cows. We just had our first baby in June and at our first Dr appt, the hubs asked the Dr, to explain how many weeks I was in ‘days’ since that’s how they do it for cows. 🙂 I got used to hearing, “oh that’s just like cows” throughout my pregnancy as I would explain random things happening to my body. So good luck with that! Hopefully your dr has a sense of humor…;)

12. Tara S. 10/07/2013 at 12:58 pm #

Congratulations!!! Such an exciting time, I hope you enjoy it to it’s fullest :). I was compared to a cow during my 3 pregnancies…my Dairy hubby thought he was an expert from delivering cows….and of course after with the breast feeding haha…good luck with that 😉

13. samanthajo14 10/07/2013 at 1:20 pm #

Congratulations!!!!!! soo happy to hear that! I hope we will still get some posts when you’re not too busy lol

14. Michelle 10/07/2013 at 2:34 pm #

My lovely farmer told me these exact words before the birth of our son “first time heifers have a hard time having large calves”. We had a c-section because our baby was big – but I wasn’t 100% sure he was just referring to cows. Congratulations!! Love your blog – we spent the first 13 years of marriage with cows and recently sold our small herd (30 cows) to focus on cash crops and raising heifers for others. But I love being a farmer’s wife!!

15. Heather 10/07/2013 at 5:57 pm #

I guessed it…then scrolled down and there are the little shoes!
    Congratulations! Love reading your posts!

16. the Modern Farm Wife 10/07/2013 at 9:50 pm #

Thank you all for your kind words! DM and I are so excited. 🙂

17. Erin 10/07/2013 at 10:07 pm #

Congratulations! Take lots of pics throughout the pregnancy, they will be fun for you and DM to look back at later. Enjoy this beautiful journey 🙂

18. Lisa B 10/08/2013 at 1:41 am #

Congratulations!!! That is very exciting news and yes your husband will compare your pregnancy to his knowledge of the cows:) it’s all done in love!!!

19. Dawn 10/08/2013 at 5:27 am #

Congrats! I love the announcement pictures. Jersey will love the new baby. Border Collies are the best dogs. So loyal!

20. Erika 10/09/2013 at 5:39 pm #

Incredibly happy for you both! As soon as I saw “big announcement” I knew it was a baby announcement. Can’t wait to hear more about your new life! And as the oldest of 6, I am positive it will be a new, crazy life. 🙂

21. Emily Grace 10/11/2013 at 2:29 pm #

Congrats!

22. Lisa 10/12/2013 at 8:48 am #

Just found your blog, and I feel like I can relate exactly to what you write about. Except a few years ago I gave up my off-farm to job to work full time on our dairy. It’s brought it’s only joy & challenges. 🙂

Congratulations on the upcoming edition to your family! Don’t worry — I’m certain your husband won’t want to name baby “Holstein.”

23. Lisa 10/12/2013 at 8:49 am #

Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family! Don’t worry — I’m certain your husband won’t want to name baby “Holstein.”

24. Molly @ Small Town, Big Runs 10/14/2013 at 8:26 pm #

Yay! Congratulations!!!!

25. Becky 10/16/2013 at 12:57 pm #

I have really enjoyed reading your blogs. I sell product to your husband for the cows. Congratulations to you and I know Grandpa will be awesome!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Power in the Pause | Modern Farm Wife - 12/23/2013

[…] Christmas preparations, home renovations, and growing a human, this season has been overwhelming and hectic for me. Rather than feeling joyous and grateful, I […]

2. 10 Things I Learned in December | Modern Farm Wife - 12/30/2013

[…] accomplished a lot in 12 short months,  from building a barn to teaching Jersey to high-five to making a baby. I’ve learned more about patience, persistence, kindness, and creating space for my soul to […]

3. 30 Things To Do Before I’m 30. | Modern Farm Wife - 01/03/2014

[…] a baby We’re expecting a baby boy in April […]

4. 50 Creative Ways to Break the News You are Pregnant | List Inspired - 09/22/2015

[…] Baby Shoe: Ok people. Hold on to your hats. It’s time for a big announcement. Were expanding the dairy! […]

5. 10 Things I Learned in October | Modern Farm Wife - 02/11/2016

[…] you may have surmised from the radio silence over here in dairy land since the big announcement, October has been a busy month! In addition to the frenzy created by Baby F, Dairy Man and I have […]

6. So I Have a Two-Year-Old | Modern Farm Wife - 04/05/2016

[…] then we got pregnant. I was going to be a mom. The thing I wanted the most was also the thing that terrified me to my […]